Nat S Ford (natf) wrote,
Nat S Ford

  • Location:
  • Mood:

A USian to UKian translation sought

I keep meaning to ask my readers this (potentially non-PC, but when has that ever stopped me?) question. When an American says that someone is Asian, I think of that person as from India or Pakistan. I gather, however, that they are more likely to be from Japan, Korea or China (or look similar to someone that does) - which we call 'oriental'. What do Americans call people from India and Pakistan (which we call 'asian' in the UK)?
Tags: english, language
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.