Long rambling and not totally relevant back-story/info…
I am asking again now because my monk has a dilemma. I have been using two 1H fist-weapons, DW because, even when I was wielding a 2H (staff) it never animates that she uses it. It just seems to be a buff-stick and she looks weird carrying it sticking up miles from her head, threaded through her hair, from just below her shoulder line.
This staff is one of those that you would grip near one end if you were t animate the toon wielding it. She does not look as silly carrying a staff that is wielded in the centre of its length. Anyway, I am using the staff and have transmogrified it to look like a less unusual-looking and more standard monk staff - one with the snowman-like thing hanging off the end that is wielded in the centre. Problem avoided, I guess.
I am still loth to carry/wield a weapon that is never actually wielded in combat. I may as well have some cool looking fist weapons that actually look like they are being used in combat. Munkie's1 spec is Windwalker and so most of her combat is hand-to-hand melee and so does not actually animate using the staff.
That is all a long rambling preamble to the real question of my post.
HOW DO I DECIDE WHETHER A 2H IS BETTER THAN TWO VARIOUS 1Hs DUAL WIELDED?
The example in this case:
|2H weapon||Staff||[Chillwind Staff]|
|Tooltip||Damage||94 - 141|
|Char tab2||Damage||238 - 296|
|2 x 1Hs||Fist weapons||2 x [Grappling Handwraps]|
|Tooltip||Damage||48 - 90|
|Char tab||Damage||217 - 287|
|DPS||98.62 / 49.37|
Now, I get that it is not (for some reason3 it is not as easy as adding the dps of the two fist weapons together and comparing that with the dps of the staff. Here come the questions:
- What is the formula that I need to compare the two weapon setups' DPS values? <rhetorical>Why can I not just add the two numbers in the char pane for DPS together and compare that with the DPS value in the char pane for the staff?</rhetorical>
- Is a 2H always better than 2 x 1H dual wielded?
- There must be an easier way to compare the two weapon setups to decide which to use - or some formula or something - other than equipping each in turn and hitting a training dummy to see which does he most dps. Mustn't there? If so, what is it?
- Someone told me it is dependent on spec whether the 2H is better than the 2 x 1H. WTF? So it is even more complex than some easy formula?!
- Is item level relevant?
- Item colo(u)r (e.g. blue vs green)?
1 My pandamonk.
2 When wielding the weapon(s).
3 Rant about how Blizzard cold have made this UI easier to understand is redacted. Rhetorical questions are rhetorical.