*wonders how to code a username link on DW*
Interestingly, even though DreamWidth is a fork form the LiveJournal code and is diverging already, natalief is still coded by using <lj user="natalief"> and not <dw user="natalief"> or somesuch.
Thus far my impressions of DreamWdth (compared to LJ of course, as that is the site I am used to using):
- "Reading Page" and not some weird and angst-causing "Friends" analogy.
- Ability to subscribe to a user and/or allow them reading access to your journal without having to do both.
- The ability to crosspost to other LJ clones/forks.
- Links on posts / pages to load them mystyle and format=light without having to use bookmarks (like I have to on LiveJournal).
- No nice dark text on pale background monochrome site style yet. Lots of pink or purple and nasty hard to read (for me) white text on black background..
- No client apps like xjournal as yet. Once xjournal allows crossposting (and the backup of more than one journal) I will be happy!
- I had hoped that one of the LJ clones/forks would have the ability to make one or more posts "sticky", i.e. always appear at the top of your journal (without playing with fake posting times).
- Many of the site links (e.g. the "Zesty. Powered by Dreamwidth Studios" style link at the bottom of an entry page like this one) lead to LiveJournal and then I get confused about which site I am on because I have the same icon there (and everywhere for consistency and recognisability). Looks like I need a different icon here.
I love how this is being so actively developed. I almost wish my permanent account was on here rather than (or as well as) on LiveJournal! Not that I can afford $200 to buy one here…
This post may get updated rather than adding new posts. I reserve the right to change my mind.
This post was originally posted over at my DreamWidth account, here.